Blue Jays' Anthony Alford Opens Up About Tough Concussion Recovery

by Mike Johnston
November 4, 2016

Anthony Alford suffered a concussion in a scary incident in June that resulted in him being stretchered off the field during a game with Toronto’s advanced-A affiliate Dunedin Blue Jays.

The highly touted Toronto Blue Jays prospect was a guest on The Jeff Blair Show Friday on Sportsnet 590 The Fan and detailed his difficult road to recovery.

“I felt like a week later I was fine in terms of passing the concussion protocol test, there was just something that just wasn’t right,” Alford said. “Something just wasn’t right once I got back on the field and started playing. I didn’t feel right, I didn’t know what it was, something was off, so it took me a little while longer to come back from the concussion than it did the knee injury.”

Alford grew up playing football so he’s no stranger to head trauma but said he had never gone through anything like that before.


“I feel like I was more timid after the concussion,” Alford said. “I never really had a diagnosed concussion before. I played football. I’ve dished out hits, I’ve received hits. In football you’re expecting to get hit or expecting to hit somebody. In baseball, you’re not expecting to collide with anybody so it caught me off-guard.”

He went on to explain that it took him longer than expected to get back to full speed.

“It wasn’t so much the headaches. Like, I would get small headaches at times but I think it was more I’d be in the middle of a game and all of a sudden I’d get tired. I just thought that was weird.”

Alford, who is currently playing in the Arizona Fall League, said he thought the Blue Jays organization handled his situation well and that he never felt like they were rushing him back to the field.

The 22-year-old added that he doesn’t anticipate playing winter ball at the conclusion of the Arizona Fall League season and has no expectations in terms of making the Blue Jays’ MLB roster next season.